Monday, October 30, 2017

There is a guy with a Cubs hat on my blog



The formal announcement of Dave Martinez came today.  The press conference is coming sometime after the World Series.  The last manager press conference came on my birthday, November 5.  It was a nice present -- a little bit of Nats-dom in what already seemed like a long off season in 2015.  Dusty Baker was coming.  Smiling, happy and experienced.  I hadn't seen Dusty's shortcomings first hand yet (see Solis, Sammy, (2017) and Kelley, Shawn (2016)) but I had experienced a choking by a rented closer and a whole lot of Clint Robinson.

This feels more like 2013 than 2015.  Only worse.  I thought Matt Williams would be a good manager. The guy they picked him over was Dave Martinez.  The DC Sports Bog guy reminded me why by posting a quote.   Maybe it was this one:




Or maybe it was this one:

 I keep hoping to see exactly what makes Dave Martinez "progressive" and "no one better suited"  apart from standing next to Joe Maddon for ten years.   He wasn't as progressive as Matt Williams, nor, when they both were candidates, was Martinez judged to be the best suited.  What changed?   Hopefully someone in the press will ask Mike Rizzo that question, and Mike will have a good answer.

David Ross likes this hire.  Because, you know, he understands Stephen Strasburg so well. And because you know that any dancer on Dancing with the Stars has the welfare of the Washington Nationals foremost on his or her mind.  Besides, I'm sure that its just a coincidence that Dave Martinez was standing beside Joe Maddon when David Ross played on the Cubs.   The Nationals are going to do some "amazing things" says Grandpa Rossie.



And I thought the Vin Scully first pitch skit was nauseating.  I guess if a backup catcher posts a photo of a coach hugging him, that qualifies the coach to manage.  The last thing I was hoping for was to have the Cub virus injected into my Nationals veins.

Let's hope this works out better than I'm expecting it will. 

Update, 2 pm.  At least they got the Cubs hat off of him.


 
 
 
 

No comments: